Conservation benefit: Protection of a 2,039-acre forest reserve (including 124 acres of mangroves) in perpetuity
Community benefit: Rehabilitation of micro-hydro power generator
Barangay Bagong Bayan is a coastal barangay (village) on Palawan Island. Its population is heavily dependent on fishing for their livelihood. In 2004, several nonprofit organizations (PCART, SIBAT and the Samahang Magbubukid ng Bagongbayan, a people’s organization), with funding from the United Nations Development Programme (GEF Small Grants Programme), collaborated to install a 20-kilowatt micro-hydro power system. The system provides power for village electrification and for an ice plant that support the livelihood of the Bagong Bayan fisherfolk.
Unfortunately, installers did not strictly follow specifications, and the micro-hydro system system needs repairs. A Seacology grant will fund the necessary repairs. To avoid the problems that occurred the first time, SIBAT, through its in-house consultant, will closely supervise the fabrication of the turbine. The contract will be awarded to another turbine manufacturer who made and successfully tested a system in a village north of Luzon.
In exchange for Seacology’s assistance, the barangay will protect 2,039 acres of forest, including 124 acres of mangroves.Full or partial funding for this project provided by
- June 2010
- Ferdie reports that the micro-hydro power generator continues to provide electricity to the community, and is being operated by trained community members. Periodic maintenance is being conducted...
- December 2009
- Field representative Ferdie Marcelo reports that final simulation and full systems tests were conducted, and training of operators has been conducted. As of June 2009, 45 households are being...
- June 2009
- The technical team completed the electro-mechanical installations at the power house in February 2009. Currently, they are waiting for the cement curing of the new foundations to set for the...
- May 2008
- In early 2008, the project leaders experienced a delay in procuring the new turbine for the generator but have since contacted an alternative supplier to provide the equipment. Other equipment is...
- December 2007
- The project was put on hold in 2007 until the newly elected municipal officials approved establishing the protected area. In October 2007 the community and officials decided to increase the forest...