Barangay Bagong Bayan, Palawan, Philippines
Rehabilitation of micro-hydro power generator in exchange for the protection and conservation of a 2,039-acre forest reserve (including 124 acres of mangroves) in perpetuity
Barangay Bagong Bayan is a coastal barangay (Filipino term for village or district) among the 25 barangays of Roxas, Palawan. Its population is heavily dependent on fishing for livelihood. In 2004, PCART, SIBAT and the Samahang Magbubukid ng Bagongbayan (SMB), a people’s organization, with funding support from the UNDP GEF – Small Grants Programme, collaborated to install a 20 kilowatt micro-hydro power system for village electrification and to power an ice plant facility to support the livelihood of the Bagong Bayan fisher folk. Unfortunately, specifications were not strictly followed, resulting in low system efficiency. To ensure that the same problem will be avoided, SIBAT, through its in-house consultant, will closely supervise the fabrication of the turbine, and the contract will be awarded to another turbine manufacturer who made and successfully tested a system in a village north of Luzon. In exchange for Seacology’s assistance, the barangay will conserve and protect 2,039 acres of forest land including 124 acres of mangrove area.Full or partial funding for this project provided by
- Skin Force for Good
- June 2010
- As of June 2010 Ferdie reports that the micro-hydro power generator continues to provide electricity to the community, and is being operated by trained community members. Periodic maintenance is...
- December 2009
- As of December 2009, field representative Ferdie Marcelo reports that final simulation and full systems tests were conducted, and training of operators has been conducted. As of June 2009, 45...
- June 2009
- The technical team has completed the electro-mechanical installations at the power house as of February 2009. Currently, they are waiting for the cement curing of the new foundations to set for...
- May 2008
- In early 2008 the project leaders experienced a delay in procuring the new turbine for the generator but have since contacted an alternative supplier to provide the equipment. Other equipment is...
- December 2007
- The project was put on hold in 2007 until the newly elected municipal officials approved to establish the protected area. In October 2007 the community and officials decided to increase the forest...