Conservation benefit: Creation of a 67-acre marine reserve
Community benefit: Community center
Navolau Village is located in Ra Province on Fiji’s main island of Viti Levu. The village has agreed to create a 67-acre no take reserve within their traditional fishing rights area for a period of ten years in exchange for Seacology’s funding of a much-needed community center.
- December 2011
- The carpenter, Samu, has reported to Fiji Field Representatives Jackie and Harry Powell that the project is complete, and the opening took place on December 17, 2011. The community continues to...
- June 2011
- The carpenter has reported to Fiji Field Representatives Jackie and Harry Powell that he installed all the window frames and louvers. The project will be completed within the next few months.
- June 2010
- As of May 2010 Harry and Jackie report that the plastering work was well done and Samu (with a little help) has completed the undercoating and most of the ceiling has been done. As of June 2010...
- March 2010
- As of March 2010 Harry reports that work on completing the center is progressing slowly as Samu, the carpenter, is currently taking a carpentry course in Lautoka and only goes back to Navolau on...
- February 2010
- As of February 2010 Harry reports that all the plastering work as well as undercoating of the entire wood work is completed. The wiring has also been done apart from the light fittings which will...
- December 2009
- As of December 2009 Harry reports that the roof is completely in place and all doors and window frames likewise. Work has stopped temporarily while they are waiting for some financial assistance...
- August 2009
- Senior Program Officer Karen Peterson visited this project in June 2009. She reports that the center's roof beams are now in place and some of the original concrete work has been altered to...
- June 2009
- As of April 2009, field representatives Jackie and Harry Powell worked with village leaders to coordinate a re-design of the plans to fit the limited budget and to gather quotes for materials.