Conservation benefit: Creation of a 370-acre rainforest no-take zone
Community benefit: Rural health clinics and community health training and education
Seram is the largest of the “Spice Islands” in the remote eastern region of Indonesia. Two villages on the northern coast of Seram, Sawai (Muslim) and Masihulan (Christian), live side by side in harmony with a combined population of 1,500 people. The health conditions in these villages are extremely poor.
The villages are willing to sign a covenant to set aside 370 acres of pristine forest as a strict no-take zone for a minimum of 50 years. In exchange, in cooperation with Project Bird Watch, Seacology will fund basic, critically needed health facilities, formal medical training for village based health practitioners, and community health education.Full or partial funding for this project provided by
- January 2007
- There have been some delays in finalizing water connection to the clinic at Olong. Project Birdwatch provided funding for temporary plumbing until the government installs permanent piping.
- June 2006
- In 2005, the no-take site was formally signed and bound by the King of Sawai District, heads of both villages, and heads of surrounding villages. All signatories have permanent copies of the...
- January 2006
- The two clinics have been completed and are operational. Both nurse practitioners have completed training in Bali. Small refrigerators to store medicine, to be powered by portable solar...
- September 2005
- The first clinic (in Masihulan Village) is essentially completed except for cabinets and ornaments. The basic structure of the second is complete as well, although it requires landscaping, and...
- July 2005
- In November 2004, village dignitaries and the King of Sawai District officially designated an area of prime lowland forest set between branches of the Salawai River as a no-take Heritage site....
- January 2005
- In October 2004, Seacology Field Representative Arnaz Mehta confirmed that the political situation in Ambon and the province of Maluku, where Seram Island is located, has remained peaceful for...