Conservation benefit: Village endorsement of a 1,975-acre permanent no-take rainforest reserve
Community benefit: Library/music/dance building, instruments and equipment
Sarinbuana is a small farming village perched 2,200 feet above sea level on the slopes of Mount Batukaru in Bali. Community members have been the traditional custodians of a 1,975-acre section of intact rainforest above their village.
The people of Sarinbuana are willing to formally endorse their role as guardians of the forest and protect it from all extractive activities. In exchange, Seacology will provide funds to build a library/music/dance building and to buy computers and musical instruments for the village primary school. Seacology will also fund signs and a natural stone pathway to an important temple in the forest.Full or partial funding for this project provided by
- November 2014
- Program managers Karen Peterson and Mary Randolph visited the Seacology-funded community building in October. It's in good repair and is being used for community events and festivals.
- March 2010
- In February 2010, a small grant was supplied to Sarinbuana Village to complete the children's gamelan set. The children welcomed the Balinese New Year in with their newly completed set on March...
- October 2009
- As part of its pledge to support maintenance of active projects, Seacology funded the tiling of the floor of the community building, which was completed in September 2009.
- May 2008
- Conservation efforts remain positive and ongoing within the community. A few villagers have increased their activity as nature guides within the forest reserve. Project leaders are reporting...
- December 2007
- The village began construction in late spring 2007, completing the building in August 2007. The building has a computer room for the school and the community as well as a hand-carved gamelan (set...
- June 2007
- As of March 2007, designs for the building were being finalized, and the village planned to begin construction in late spring 2007. Wood carvings for the gamelan (traditional Balinese musical...
- January 2007
- In 2006, villagers asked Seacology if they could make two areas within the reserve (approximately three acres) exempt from permanent reserve status so they can properly anticipate the need for...
- June 2006
- Seacology has received a budget for the project and a map of the proposed protected area. The village is currently reviewing the covenant agreeing to the long-term commitment of the no-take...