Conservation benefit: Establishment of a 14,826-acre marine protected area for 10 years
Community benefit: Construction of a community center
The famous 50-kilometer long Great Astrolabe Reef wraps around the southeastern side of Kadavu, just offshore of Nukuvou Village. The village has agreed to establish a no-take marine reserve in half of the village’s traditional fishing rights area for a period of 10 years in exchange for funds for the construction of a much-needed community hall.
- January 2011
- The community hall was completed in December 2009 and was used as a shelter during the last cyclone and is used every Tuesday by the Nukuvou Women's Group for handicraft making. The hall is also...
- July 2010
- Photos of the completed community hall have been received and the project is officially complete.
- February 2010
- As of February 2010 Harry reports that the project contact will visit Nukuvou next month and on her return she will have photos of the completed community hall, toilet/shower, etc. The community...
- August 2009
- Field representatives Harry and Jackie Powell visited this project in June 2009. Construction is almost complete and the center opening is scheduled for September 2009.
- June 2009
- Seacology purchased materials to complete the project directly from suppliers in March 2009. Field representatives Jackie and Harry Powell coordinated the shipping of the materials and the project...