Home / Seacology is hiring an individual gifts officer
Seacology is hiring an individual gifts officer
Seacology is the world’s only nonprofit organization devoted solely to the preservation of island environments and cultures worldwide. Our eight-person office is based in Berkeley, California, but we work with island communities in 60 countries, and have launched more than 300 projects. Seacology is a rewarding and fun place to work, and was recently named one of the 15 best U.S. nonprofits to work for.
The individual gifts officer is responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting individual donors to Seacology. The individual gifts officer works with Seacology’s communications associate and institutional giving officer, and reports to the executive director. Primary responsibilities include:
Expanding the individual donor base
- Identify and solicit prospective major donors.
- Expand awareness of Seacology through media campaigns, crowdfunding, or other methods.
- Represent Seacology at small and large events and conferences, and with the media.
- Recruit potential major donors for Seacology expeditions to island projects, and lead expeditions throughout the world.
Keeping current donors engaged and active
- Maintain good relationships with major donors.
- Create events such as lectures, dinners, house parties, receptions, and annual prize ceremony.
- Lead year-end solicitation, writing appeal letters and coordinating preparation and mailing.
- Manage Seacology’s planned giving program.
- Manage relations with Seacology’s affiliate organizations in several countries.
Working with the board of directors
- Coordinate development committee activities and liase with the committee chair.
- Identify and develop board connections with potential major donors.
- Prepare and present written and oral development status reports at semiannual board meetings.
- At least three years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, including substantial experience cultivating high-net-worth individuals
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred)
- Leadership, management skills, and a team player mentality
- Attention to detail
- Exceptional written communication and public speaking skills
- Experience analyzing financial data
- Proficiency with Salesforce as donor database
- Keen interest in environmental issues and international cultures
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly, domestically and internationally, to meet with prospective major donors or to lead trips
- Sense of humor
Salary depends on experience. We offer an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance as well as a generous retirement plan.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and salary requirement to: firstname.lastname@example.org.