Conservation benefit: Support of a 60,958-acre rainforest reserve for a minimum of 20 years
Community benefit: Kindergarten
Niampak Village, in the Talaud archipelago of eastern Indonesia, evolved a little later than Ensem Village during the spice trade. The village consists of just over 1,000 residents in 225 households who farm mainly nutmeg and cloves as well as coconuts and other cash crops. The village borders the southern section of a 60,958-acre rainforest reserve on the island of Karakelang.
Due to the exceptional biological significance of this rainforest reserve, Birdlife Indonesia has been working with Niampak Village since 2005 to create a village initiative to preserve this forest. In 2006, a village ordinance was passed to protect the forest. Niampak Village has 38 children who are using a dilapidated building for their kindergarten.
Seacology is funding the renovation of the kindergarten and the addition of washroom facilities in exchange for a village commitment to preserve the rainforest as a no-take area for a minimum of 20 years.
- January 2009
- As of November 2008 the protected area continues to be monitored and patrolled by villagers, who are working with the forestry department on a national forest rehabilitation project. Their efforts...
- May 2008
- As of January 2008 Niampak construction was complete. A kindergarten building, two classrooms, one teacher's office and two washrooms were built. In addition, toys, playground equipment, and...
- November 2007
- As of October 2007 the building was nearing completion. The last phase was started in November, which included installing electricity, building furniture and shelves, installing a playground and...
- August 2007
- The walls were built, door and window framing was completed and roofing was completed. Plans for August through September include plastering, tiling, building washrooms, fencing, landscaping and...
- June 2007
- Plans for May through August 2007 include preparing the site, purchasing and transporting materials, and starting the construction of the kindergarten. The building is scheduled to be completed by...