We are hiring an Accounting Manager
ACCOUNTING MANAGER FOR SEACOLOGY
Seacology is a nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the environments of the world’s islands. We partner with indigenous island communities to protect local terrestrial and marine ecosystems while supporting the community with needed benefits such as schools, community centers, or fresh water systems. Based in Berkeley, California, we have over 200 projects in over 45 countries around the world, protecting nearly two million acres of island habitat. Learn more about Seacology at www.seacology.org.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The accounting manager reports to the executive director on a daily basis. Seacology’s accounting manager performs all accounting tasks and provides financial reporting to the staff and board of directors. The accounting manager manages human resources procedures and develops consultant contracts, as well as managing the insurance policies for the organization. The accounting manager also coordinates with the program manager for outgoing grants and project documentation and reporting. The accounting manager reviews, researches and recommends revisions to organizational policies to keep up to date with county, state, and federal regulations. Specific responsibilities include:
- Prepare checks and deposits, and manage all financial transactions and processes as set by Seacology’s accounting manual and to comply with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare all financial reporting necessary for the executive director, development department, board chairman, board audit and investment committees, and the board of directors. This includes income/expense statements, budget statements, account balance statements, functional expense allocations, and several specialized reports.
- Prepare documentation and reporting and manage the system to track information (both in QuickBooks and Excel) for an outside accounting firm for the annual audit and State and Federal information returns.
- Work with the program manager & field representatives to prepare grant documentation and obtain project reports necessary to meet international granting procedures. Enter information into project database in Microsoft Access.
- Manage all human resources functions, including new hire processing and benefits management, and ensure compliance with employment and labor laws.
- Prepare employee payroll and fringe benefit calculations and manage via payroll services and benefit agencies, and review and maintain compliance with employee payroll and benefit policies and transactions.
- Prepare a draft budget for the executive director and the board of directors to approve on an annual basis.
- Review and maintain regulations and reporting requirements to uphold Seacology’s insurance policies, county property assessment, sales permit, seller of travel status, and state charitable registrations.
- Prepare and maintain international consultant contracts, payments and deadlines.
SALARY: $60,000-65,000 depending on experience plus excellent fringe benefits. This is a full-time position.
Please email, fax, or mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to:
Seacology Email: email@example.com
1623 Solano Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94707 Fax: 510-559-3506 No phone calls